Archive for January, 2007

Jan 27 2007

DRBD on Ubuntu

Published under Technology

This week I experimented with DRBD (Distributed Replicated Block Device) which is “a block device which is designed to build high availability clusters. This is done by mirroring a whole block device via (a dedicated) network. You could see it as a network raid-1.” DRBD can be used for build a “poor man’s SAN”, a […]

3 responses so far

Jan 20 2007

A/B Technique for Web Application Deployment

Published under Technology

This description of my “A/B technique for web application deployment” was transcribed from audio, so it less tight, more verbose than my normal prose. I chose to post it in rough form, rather than leave it on the “back burner” until an unknown future date when I have time to rewrite it. I first explained […]

6 responses so far

Jan 19 2007

Hotel connectivity, with click tracking by SuperClick

Published under Technology

I’m enjoying my stay this weekend, but the Big Cedar Resort uses click tracking software, which is unethical and unnecessary. Some details of this “superclick” tracking system are on nerdblog and swiK. There is much discussion of the system on SlashDot. My take on this is that “don’t be evil” is good policy, and not […]

One response so far

Jan 14 2007

Lots of TextDrive downtime

Published under Technology

I apologize for the site downtime today, to my huge audience of loyal readers (er… both of you). It turns out that my new ISP, TextDrive, has been having a lot of downtime on the shared hosting machine my sites are on… frequent freezes/crashes, exacerbated by long delays in noticing and recovering. Apparently it is […]

Comments Off on Lots of TextDrive downtime

Jan 09 2007

I have seen the future, and it runs OSX

Published under Technology

iPhone: Wow It’s a phone. It’s a PDA. It’s an iPod. It’s a widescreen video iPod. It has zero physical buttons, rather the whole front is a multi-touch-screen. I’ll leave the rest of the raving to the many other sites doing a great job of that. The real innovation of this new device is the […]

Comments Off on I have seen the future, and it runs OSX

Jan 05 2007

Math Drill – for your 1st..4th grader

Published under Technology

Here is a simple piece of software I wrote to help my children practice basic arithmetic facts. Of course there are no doubt already a thousand or more similar programs out there; but in a few minutes of searching I didn’t find one that did quite what I wanted. I ended up tinkering with this […]

3 responses so far